Onboard Generator for Ram 1500 REV -- V2H / V2V charging

Bluey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Charger
I was poking around the Ram site and saw this image of the vehicle-to-home power generator. Surprised since no one seems to be talking about it or maybe I just missed it.... pretty big deal since (I think) the only competitor EV truck to have that capability so far is the F150 Lightning with ProPower.

Home Energy Charging
Stay powered up no matter what (when your home is properly equipped). When the grid is down, this electric truck can get you back up and running with available home energy charging.

MY23-Ram-REV-1500-Home-Energy-Charging-Feature-Blurb-PromoTile-Rail-Desktop.png

First Name
Ira
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 Ram 1500
I saw it but hadn't made a comment on it in the beginning as I am still trying to learn what it takes to properly equip the home to be able to have it run from the vehicle battery. The most pressing question I would have at the moment is how to determine how long the truck could keep my presently all electric house running. Currently I do live in town and have experienced a few short term power outages. But I have experienced a very long term one, in the winter months, that lasted three days while AT&T and the local power company sorted out what to do when a storm broke an AT&T pole that the power cable was attached to. I am sure even a fully charged battery could not have kept me going for that long outage.

I do believe it is a nice feature that would come in handy in certain situations if the house was properly setup for it, just not sure it is something I could use myself. The Vehicle To Vehicle actually looks more of interest to me as that provides some sense of security to me when I am out at some remote trailhead hiking or backpacking and find myself in the unthinkable jam of not having enough energy to get me to the nearest charging station. I would take precautions to ensure as much as possible that did not happen but still a good backup measure just in case if another EV that had the same feature was around to help out with or likewise myself offering to help another stranded EV out.

First Name
Ira
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 Ram 1500
Oddly enough, I came across an article titled Why The Chevrolet Silverado EV Is Better Than The Ford F-150 Lightning by Michael Lusigi today where it was stated that the Chevy pickup could power a standard family home for up to 21 days.

I have no idea how that figure was arrived at, or if it included the use of the homes heat pump unit to cool or heat the home during that time. But I was surprised to see that large of a number. So the idea of powering the home from the battery of the future Ram may prove more interesting to me now.

Just thought I would add this post to be as informative on the subject as can be. Obviously still a lot of unknowns and a lot to learn but certainly worth exploring.

eric5899

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Tucson
You should be able to login to your online electric provider account and check usage. Day/week/month are common choices. You should also be able to choose different times of year to see your demand. Then you can compare to EVs to see how long the battery would last in an outage.

Efudd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Reliant Robin
I have heard that the Ford power backup option is through a third-party and is around 17k (for the inverter?). I believe this cost is in addition to the power pro charger that comes standard with the extended range battery. I hope the Ram configuration chooses a different path, though an inverter will still be required.